Wednesday, November 08, 2006

His Father's Son

While everyone else is posting about the Democratic victory in the U.S. mid-term elections (and I'll follow everyone else, as soon as I've had a chance to digest the returns and think the matter over), the world continues to turn on its axis nonetheless.

And the National Post brings us this surprisingly gushing profile of Justin Trudeau, the man being built up as the heir presumptive to the Liberal Party's leadership on little more than his surname and his looks:

"You win the lottery, and you can do two things," Mr. Trudeau, 34, said. "And when you look at it, I won the birth lottery. I got to be born to Pierre Elliott Trudeau and Margaret Sinclair... You can either begin to feel guilty about it, and hide from it, or you can say, 'Look, for some reason, I was given an undue amount of power and influence that I certainly didn't ask for and didn't earn.' So then you say, 'Well then I have to try and be worthy of it.'"


He certainly has his parents' modesty, if nothing else.

No comments: